BIOGRAPHY, BOOKS, REVIEWS & AWARDS
Jane Cabrera is an Author, Illustrator and Artist who is best known for her children's books.
She has written and illustrated 59 books which have been translated into more than 25 languages and won awards in the UK, US and Europe.
Her first book Cat's Colours was published in 1997 by Egmont children's books. It is still in print today.
Jane's books have been published by Egmont, DK, Walker, Cambell, Macmillan, Simon and Schuster, Scholastic, Templar and Gullane in the UK and she works regularly with Holiday House in the USA.
Other clients have included Ohsisma magazine in Japan (for 5 years) and Chunjae and Hansol Education in Korea. Plus illustrations and design for various merchandise, packaging, logos, posters, signs, murals and window art.
Jane lives on the edge of Dartmoor national park in south Devon, UK. Her studio is in her home where she also has a growing contemporary art practice. She trained and worked for many years as a graphic designer in London.
Follow on INSTAGRAM
Say hello at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are Interested in writing or Illustrating a Children's book I suggest you buy The Children's Writers' & Artists' Yearbook. Full of useful info and contacts.
A selection below
"Jane Cabrera is one of a number of new picture book illustrators who are breaking the mould in terms of style" Cat's Colours Books magazine 1997.
Listed as one of the Guardian Best new children's books Summer 2018
Rainbow and Opposites
School Zone ,“This is a lovely book for nursery settings to start children thinking about opposites and to encourage them to think of their own oppositional pairings.”
Juno Magazine, "I really like the style of this sturdy board book, which is full of surprises."
The Bookworm baby blog,
“Its definitely another lovely board book for little ones to explore.”
Books with Baby Blog, “Bright and bold, with sweet animal illustrations that make him smile.”
Various baby books Book Riot
There was an Old Woman who Lived in a Shoe
Kirkus Review, "Welcome to a new Old Woman and her little ones, too.”
School Library Journal, “A charming reimagining of an originally more cynical nursery rhyme.”
Rock-a-Bye-Baby Youth services book review,
"I liked everything about this book, especially the variety of animals in the book and the descriptive language that made up each rhyme."
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep Kirkus review,
"Cabrera’s winning style—acrylics with bold, black outlines—is perfect for the preschool audience. Both lap listeners and the audience at story hour will be able to see every detail -Another winner from Cabrera."
The 12 Days of Christmas School Library Journal,
"Lots of appeal for young children."
Angels and Urchins, "a charming, heart warming book"
The book bag,"A sweet little story with adorable illustrations....so attractive for both little ones and their parents too."
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,
Kirkus Review, "A nursery charmer."
The Wheels on the Bus School library Journal,
"A surefire winner...Not to be missed"
Row, Row, Row Your Boat Booklist,
"A fine addition"
Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush Kirkus Review,
"Sure to be successful"
Old MacDonald Had a Farm Booklist,
Publishers Weekly,"...her style exudes the joy of creation..."
Vivian French for The Guardian, "...Colours that Zing, my favourite 3 year old (who has great taste) sleeps with it under his pillow."
The Polar Bear and the Snow Cloud BBC Parenting Parenting magazine,
"A Charming Picture book."
Cat's Cuddles The School Librarian Magazine,
"The language is as alive as the pictures."
Snappy Teeth, Twitchy Nose, Floppy Ears, Bright Eyes Junior Magazine,
"Delightfully bold illustrations and a surprise ending provide added entertainment."
One, Two, Buckle My Shoe, Kirkus Review,
"A simple Joyous romp."
Old Mother Hubbard
Publishers weekly, "Cabrera's Illustrations always virtually bubble over with high spirits"
Kirkus review, "A real crowd-pleaser"
A WONDERFUL EMAIL
I often receive kind emails from parents and teachers especially from schools and libraries in the USA.
Here is one that touched my heart.
"Ms. Cabrera, People often put things out into the world and never know how it impacts others, so I wanted to take a moment and tell you the impact your book "Twinkle, Twinkle" has made in my classroom. I have a nonverbal autistic student who has been obsessed with your book since joining my class a little over a year ago. No matter where we put it, he finds it:) I have had to tape and staple it back together more times than I can count. We have used it as an incentive to get him to mand for things and to calm him down. He now has 12 words, one of which is Twinkle. The other day he was upset when I put the book away, so he stood up and started to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle little star,up above world so high". I cannot tell you the excitement, applause, and tears that filled my classroom at that moment. He sang it again yesterday and I was able to get it on video for his mother. Due to his classification I can not share the video with you, or I would, or tell you his name, but I can tell you that you have made a huge amazing positive impact on his life, and on mine. I cannot thank you enough! I just thought you should know the effect your book has had on our classroom. Wishing you the best! "
LIST OF BOOKS
All are picture books written and illustrated by Jane Cabrera, first published in the UK, unless stated.
Many have also been printed into co-editions, so far into over 25 countries. And many have also been published as board book and paperback editions too. Jane's work has also appeared in anthologies and other collective publications.
59. Love Our Earth, MacMillan Children's books, spring 2021
58. The Bear went over the mountain, Holiday House US, fall 2020
57. The Thank You Letter, Holiday House US, 2019
56. Numbers, Templar Publishing, 2018
55.Shapes, Templar Publishing, 2018
54. Opposites, Templar Publishing, 2017
53. Rainbow, Templar Publishing, 2017
52. Rock-a-Bye-Baby, Holiday House, US, 2017
51. Peel-a-boo You! Templar Publishing, 2016
50. Peek-a-boo Zoo! Templar Publishing,
49. Say Hello, Templar Publishing, 2016
48. Kiss Goodnight, Templar Publishing, 2016
47. There was an Old Woman who Lived in a Shoe, Holiday House, US,
46. Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, Holiday House, US, Fall 2015
45. Row, Row, Row, Your Boat, Holiday House, US, 2014
44. Baby Face, Hansol Education, Korea, Illustration only, Board Book, 2015
43. The 12 Days of Christmas, Holiday House, US, 2013
42.Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, Gullane Children's Books, 2012
41. Hello Tiger! D-books, Korea 2012
40. What to wear Little Bear, D-books, Korea 2012
39. Fetch, Orchard Children's Books, 2011
38. The Wheels on the Bus, Gullane Children's Books, 2011,
37. Baby Loves...Chunjae education, Korea, Board Book, 2011
36. Mummy Cat? Chunjae education, Korea, Board Book, 2011
35. Here we ground the Mulberry Bush, Gullane Children's Books, 2010
32-34 Googlie Eyes, Board Books, Illustrations only x 3 Readers Digest Books, US 2010
31. 1,2 Buckle My shoe, Gullane Children's Books, 2009
30. Old Macdonald had a farm, Gullane Children's Books, 2008
29. Cat's Cuddles, Gullane Children's Books, 2007
28. Ten in the Bed, Gullane Children's Books, 2006
27. Buttercup's Baby Bird,
26. Fern's Holiday,
25. Acorn's Bonfire and
24. Willow's Christmas, all by Scholastic, 2006
23. Mummy Carry Me, Gullane Children's Books, 2004
22. The Creaky Noise, Simon and Schuster, 2004
21. The Pram Race, Simon and Schuster, 2004
20. Yellow Circle,
19. Blue Square,
18. Green Star and
17. Red Triangle, All Scholastic, Board Books, 2003
16. If You're Happy and You Know it, Gullane Children's Books, 2003
15. The Polar Bear and the Snow Cloud, MacMillan Children's Books, 2002
14. Bear's Goodnight and
13. Monkey's Playtime, Board Books, Walker Books, 2002
12. Snappy Teeth,
11. Twitchy Nose,
10. Floopy Ears and
9. Bright Eyes, All Board Books, Cambell, 2001
8. Old Mother Hubbard, Gullane Children's Books, 2001
7. My Sister's Hair, Illustrated only Novelty Book, Children's Books, 2001
6. Eggday, written by Joyce Dunbar, Gullane Children's Books, 1999
5. Over in the Meadow, Gullane Children's Books, 1999
4. Rory and the Lion, DK, 1999
3. Panda Big and Panda Small, DK, 1998
2. Dog's Days, Heinemann, 1998
1. Cat's Colours, Heinemann, (Egmont) 1997.
For 5 years Jane illustrated for 'Oshima' magazine in Japan. She was the cover Artist as well as having a 6 page story inside each month. Her work was used on merchandise including sushi lunch boxes, bags, mugs, tea shirts and handkerchiefs.
Many of Jane's books are on library and school recommended reading lists in the USA.
Row, Row, Row Your Boat Bank Street Best Children's Book of the year 2015 & Missouri Building Block Award nominee 2015
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star Bank Street Best Children's Book of the year 2013
If You're Happy and You Know it Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Platinum 2006 & Nick Jr, Best Book Award 2006
Row, Row, Row Your Boat Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Gold 2010
Old Mother Hubbard Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Gold 2002
Over in the Meadow Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Platinum 2001
Cat's Colours Keike Boekprijis, the Netherlands, 2003, shortlisted & The English Association, best children's book, shortlisted, 2003.
BOOK FESTIVALS, SCHOOL VISITS & WORKSHOPS
Jane has attended most major UK literary festivals, including Hay, Edinburgh and Cheltenham.
She brings her books to life by involving the young children as much as possible, through play, dressing up and making Art.
She's talked at schools across all age groups on the writing, Illustrating and design of Children's books plus an adults talk on how to write and Illustrate Children's books.
Jane has also run Art workshops in Primary schools, including staging a Poetry and Art show at the Tagore poetry festival in Dartington and an exhibition.